A:Hurry up! Mom, I can't wait any more.
快点妈妈,我等不及了。
B:Look out, honey. Let's come to the shoal waters. Follow me!
当心点,孩子。我们去浅水区吧,跟我来。
A:OK, Mom. Can I swim now? I want to learn butterfly stroke.
好的,妈妈,我现在能游了吗?我想学蝶泳。
B:Honey, listen to me. First, you should learn how to breathe in and breathe out.
孩子,听我说,首先你得学会怎样吸气和呼气。
A:Mom, it's so terrible. Water went down into my throat and I almost got drowned.
妈妈,真糟糕。水到我的喉咙里来了,我差点被淹死。
B:Do be patient, Honey. Let's do it slowly and correctly.
有耐心点,孩子。让我们慢慢来,把它做好。
A:Oh, Mom, I think I'm not the right person for swimming.
好的,妈妈,我想我不是游泳的料。
B:Come on, sweetie, you've done very well. It is the first step that is tough.
来吧,孩子。你做得很好了。万事开头难嘛。
A:Right, I'll make up my mind. Please correct me if any of my movements go wrong.
也是,我要加把劲。如果我动作做错了,就纠正我吧。
B:Yes, well done. That's the way to go. How clever you are! You've got it.
对,做得好,就该这样。你多聪明呀!你做对了。
A:Really? I can't believe it. Everything is possible to a willing heart.
真的吗?我简直不敢相信。有志者事竟成。
B:Exactly, next, you should hold your legs together and extend your arms above your head.
对呀,下一步,把你的双脚合拢,把你的胳膊放到你的头上。
A:Yes, like a dolphin. Am I on the right track?
嗯,像海豚一样。我做对了吗?
B:That's the way to go. Now, you are flying, my boy.
对了。孩子,你进步了。
注释:
breathe in/out 吸气/呼气
show off 炫耀
whipping n. 鞭打
generate vt. 产生
hip n. 髋部
dolphin n. 海豚
gotcha 相当于got you. 为口语缩略表达,意为“知道了,明白了”。
It is the first step that is tough. 万事开头难。做任何事情都会在刚开始时困难。