T:Hi, Michael, how's it going?
喂,迈克,怎么样?
M:Well, things are all right.
还凑活吧?
T:I heard you got a new roommate. What's he like?
我听说你有了个新室友,他怎么样啊?
M:Yeah, Bob moved in last week. He is a nice guy and so far everything is cool except this girlfriend.
是啊,鲍勃上周搬了进来.他人挺好的,到现在一切都好,就有一样,他的女朋友.
T:Oh? What's wrong with his girlfriend?
嗯?他的女朋友怎么了?
M:She came over last weekend. She is a nice girl but there's something about her voice that really creeps me out. I tried to smile and be polite, but the whole time all I could think was "what's wrong with your voice?"
她上周末过来了,她是个不错的女孩,可是她说话的声音总是让我浑身起鸡皮疙瘩.我努力地微笑,想保持礼貌,可是整个过程我忍不住一直在想”你的声音怎么了?”
T:Well, I guess it might take some time to get used to.
我觉得可能过一段时间就能适应吧.
M:I doubt it. Last time was an oral train wreck. Listening to her talk is like chewing tin foil.
我不知道行不行.上次对我来说简直就是煎熬,听她讲话就像是嘴里嚼了蜡纸一样.
T:Oh come on, it's not that bad.
算了吧,不可能那么差.
M:No, it's so much worse. And tonight they invited me out to dinner. I really have no idea how I'm going to pull it off.
比那个还差呢.而且今晚他们邀请我们出去吃东西,我真的不知道怎么熬过去.
T:Rough. Maybe you can do the most of the talking.
这个有难度.或许你应该多说.
M:That's the plan.
我就是这样想的.
T:Good luck.
祝你好运!